Today we have been given the opportunity to have a lecture by lee fairbrother, a creative director at Accelerate digital. Accelerate work with companies like google, modulr, the princess charity and the olympics. Accelerate specialise in branding, user experience, print advertising and user development. Lee’s lecture allowed us an insight into the london world of design.
Within the lecture lee explained his experience within the design field and his development from university into the working world. Fairbrother went through some helpful tips and life lessons that will help us grow and learn as junior designers.
Tips and Tricks: things you might find useful:
- Make a plan (look into your career- what you want to do? where you want to go?)
“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth” (Mike Tyson)
- Your portfolio is your life story
- Craft skills, ads, games, business ideas, personality, the folio that says
‘you want to meet me’
- Know the industry- different agencies: advertising, digital, brand and print (research the agencies- different roles, know their accounts, work, competition),
‘everything in this room has been designed by someone’
- Never stop learning: you carry on learning after: do tutorials, go to meet ups, store your knowledge, share your knowledge, read everything.
- Understand the difference between an idea and an execution.
- Always have strategy and create with purpose
- Focus on the benefit (how is this going to change the users life?) (what is the purpose, point?
- Never underestimate the power of simplicity
- Scamping and sketching: strength- attachment
- Pretotype then prototype, then build (is the art of faking an idea- fake advertising)
- Good is the enemy of great (great+ award winning!!)
- Build a network, go to meet ups, ask creative, design directors for their advice (stay in touch with these people around you)
- Find your mentors (creating a contact)
- Get yourself out there (website, branding, taste and trend, fashionable) square space?
- When you find the job (make it your own, ask yourself, honestly, job or career?)
- Push the boundaries– ask questions, expect to hear no, don’t be afraid of anyone, hard work doesnt go unnoticed
- Your biggest asset is your team behind you- thinking environment, change the scenery, consider every idea, don’t make fun of an idea, make notes, scamps, save all that thinking
- Present better than don draper- not just a designer work in sales, painting on a smile
- Be resilient– stay strong (karma is a bitch)
- Radical candour – (honest feedback)
- Choose when to take advice and when to leave it- decide which parts are valuable
- You should get paid in more than just money- knowledge, accounts, team, leaders)
‘don’t sell yourself short’
- Know when its time to move on– don’t hang around waiting.
- This is your life and its ending one minute at a time- chuck palahniuk
- Procrastination will kill you – take it head on, find a new environment, get started, ask for feedback on whatever it is you’re doing
- No matter where your careers take you, don’t be a dick. be nice
- Work hard, be nice and be on time: success
- Love it- a designer solves problems.