|Publish-Week 2|

Field, Level 5

For this week we have mainly been focusing upon the idea of layout and the main focuses and importance of a front cover. We have been experimenting within groups and on our own to create the ideal front cover and experimental layout. 

Tuesday 25th October: 

We were put into small groups to create the perfect front cover using the idea of a ready made magazine to show that we understood the main effects of the front cover and how we would present this to a publisher.

I was put into a group with my colleague Carys whom is also a graphic designer and together we deliberated which topic we felt suited us the best and which we felt we could play around with and have the most rain, we decided on the natural history aspects looking into the anatomy of animals nature.

After discussion we decided to create a natural history magazine called natural progression. We found that this name fitted the topic the most without it being too obvious or possibly unprofessional. We then decided on the idea of creating a sea life edition venturing into the unknown depths of the sea and looking into different animals in which we could use as photographic imagery for our front cover to show the content yet making the cover look visually interesting and appealing.

We looked for imagery using the internet to gain the most powerful and effective image for our front cover, after deciding between a few images we decided on this specific image that allowed for space for typography and a master head.

After deciding this my partner then left to go to a meeting which left me alone for a few hours to progress the work further ready for presentation. I then decided to pick out a colour use out of the imagery of the squid in order to keep with the colour theme. the colour chosen was an orange/coral colour which stood out against the black background of the image and for the rest of the magazine cover.

first image is my design and the other is my partners

I then went on to look at article details and what could be added to the magazine cover to make it more informative for the full magazine. I decided on the sea life edition and felt that this would sit nicely underneath the title of the magazine, and added a small caption on the right hand side of the magazine, informing the reader that this is also a collectors edition for this type of magazine. i then went on to put on titles for articles within magazines, these are the three articles in which i decided fit best. ‘discover the several wonders of the worlds oceans, the anatomy of the colossal squid, and whales, dolphins, turtles and exploring the deep blue’. I felt that this was the best idea and shows more of whats within the magazine itself without giving too much information away.

the typeface in which i have chosen is a simple Avenir typeface which i felt looked modern and effective yet still legible for the magazine cover. i then went on to the typeface for the title of the magazine, it took a while to choose this typeface as i didn’t feel as if many typefaces suited the magazine without it looking boring or unprofessional. i decided agin to use Bebas. i found that this was a suitable title font and worked well within the time frame we were given for this project.

when my partner then returned we went on to show the same magazine within a different format, looking at the imagery and typeface as a hole. we decided to use a different colour for the type and play around with the placement and the master head. i felt that this could have been done in a different way however this shown clear variation between mine and my partners work.

Thursday 27th October 

When we went in we were given the task to experiment with different layouts for our magazine covers in which we were allocated on Tuesday. We were given 4 sheets of A4 paper each and were asked to create different layouts of of the magazine itself while being inventive and challenging the norm by using other shapes and not the standard size for the magazine cover itself.

I started doing this and challenging myself to use different folds and shapes to make the content seem interesting and unique. I did this by folding triangles into the page to create a triangular front cover and open up to reveal further content of the magazine.

I then decided to make another version, keeping the height of the full sheet of paper and folding it in half but creating the back cover as if it was part of a Constantine page so that I could have information come out and unfold to show variation.

I found that this task was helpful to understand the layout concept for people whom don’t deal with layouts a lot. However I felt that we were recapping a lot from the experimentation from our story book projects within first year. However the task was completed and worked well when finished.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s