|Editorial Piece: Printing & Binding|

After we handed in our editorial pieces to our tutor we were given final feedback before sending our work to print. I was given small tweaks in order to correct my editorial pieces. i was told to change the size of columns as they were between columns just slightly and weren’t matching up as well as they could do. There also was a problem with the amount of black lines I used in order to frame some pieces of texts, they weren’t overall necessary and were blocking the use of hierarchy throughout the piece.

After adapting my piece in order to accommodate these pieces this is what my final editorial work looked like. I found it to look more spacious and clearer and I found that this worked well as a final piece.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.56.53Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.57.03

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.57.12

I then decided to send my work to print. before I sent it I made sure that all of the crop and bleed marks were applied to the piece so that when it came to printing and binding my work together that it all looked effective and worked well. We decided to use a print studio outside of the university, touch graphics. They allowed for a professional print and allowed for a good price, the work was then sent to them via an email in a pdf format. The print was ready within 24hours and was picked up the following day.

Binding:

For the binding we were shown a quick demonstration of how we were going to cut and assemble our prints into a book format. We were then asked to separate into pairs in order to work together to help get the best outcome possible.. (two sets of eyes are sometimes better than one!). The first step of the binding is to find the centre fold of each double page spread. This was marked out for us when we selected the crop and bleed marks on the pdf settings. In order to create the fold, we took a ruler and lined up the centre fold leaving about 2mm from the actual line so that you can mark it accurately using a bone folder. We marked down the centre of the page three times the same length as the ruler for the fold to be prominent and easy execute.

IMG_1108

We then went on to cut out the work. we did this by taking a steel scalpel and cutting between the crop marks in order to cut the full length between the two. This allowed for a clean cut finish. However when cutting this make sure to cut only between the crop marks and not the full length of the paper as this allows for you to be able to see the other crop marks for the other side of the piece so they can be cut accurately too.

This worked well and allowed for me to have 3 cleanly cut double page spreads with full and accurate centre folds. Then we had to create the bind of the book. This is done by folding the three double page spreads and making sure they are all aligned at the folded seem. After this I then marked out which pages would need to be bound together to accurate represent a magazine spread within a book. I did this by putting a small mark of pencil on each page that needed to have spray mount put upon.

IMG_1111

To apply the spray mount we then had to put our spreads within the spray mount booth, when on this allows for the paper to be sucked in order for it not to move when applying the spray mount and catching the fumes so that they aren’t within the air afterwards. The way in which I decided to line everything up in order for it to be perfect was different to how others decided to do theirs. However mine seemed to work well first time round and I didn’t have to redo it.

I decided to lay my second double page spread down upon the table with the print face down. This allowed me to see the noticeable crease within the centre of my spread and be able to align my work perfectly to the bind itself. I then took the first double page spread and sprayed the back of the second page. This was then stuck upon the back on the third page which would also be the right hand side of the page lying face down on the table. This allowed me to get the binding of the folded seem perfectly aligned and also allowed for the pages to be stuck together accurately. Again I did this with the third double page spread. Not moving the second off the table and allowing me to line up the third page.

I feel that this worked really well and the only small tweaked that needed finishing was the quick trim of the pages in order to get them completely perfectly without any problem. Other than this my double page spreads worked out well and are ready to be put up within the exhibition.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s